4.08.2004

The New Republic Online: Under God and Over: "'So do you think that God is so generic in this context that it could be that inclusive, and if it is, then does your objection disappear?'
Needless to say, Newdow's objection did not disappear, because it is one of the admirable features of atheism to take God seriously. Newdow's reply was unforgettable: 'I don't think that I can include 'under God' to mean 'no God,' which is exactly what I think. I deny the existence of God.' The sound of those words in that room gave me what I can only call a constitutional thrill. This is freedom. And he continued: 'For someone to tell me that 'under God' should mean some broad thing that even encompasses my religious beliefs sounds a little, you know, it seems like the government is imposing what it wants me to think in terms of religion, which it may not do. Government needs to stay out of this business altogether.'"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home